This is one from my childhood that has been past down through the generations and is now enjoyed by my family. It is great for picnics or a tasty weekday meal. Need to bring a dish to a friend party or just want to keep something in the freezer ready to go.
Chicken Mushroom Filo
- 1 whole BBQ Chicken or Cooked Chicken - Diced I use the left over chicken from making stock
- 500 gms Mushrooms - Diced
- 300 gms Havati Cheese - Grated
- 1 bunch Spring Onions Diced
- 1 Pkt Frozen Filo Pastry defrost fully before un-wrapping
- 60 gms Melted Butter
- 1 Egg for basting
- Salt. Pepper and Herbs if using plain diced chicken
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, mushroom, cheese and spring onions. Add seasoning to taste.
- unwrap the Filo and place under a slightly damp tea towel - If this is too damp your pastry layers will stick together.
- With 6 - 10 sheets of pastry baste the melted butter between the layers.
- Fill with the chicken mixture and turn both ends in before rolling.
- Place seam side down on a baking tray and baste with the egg. Score the tip with your knife in a diagonal direction to allow steam to release whilst cooking.
- Repeat to make further pastries if you have mixture remaining. I find this recipe will make two large filo's.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees and cook until golden brown. Approximately 30 mins
- Enjoy either straight from the oven or cold.